An old-fashioned pen resting on a document that says "Will"

Can I Change My Will?

Adjusting To Changing Needs

Preparing a last will and testament is a great way to protect your assets and the best interests of your family after you are gone. Sometimes, however, you might need to change your will. Can this be done? Here is what you should know.

A Simple Answer With Different Processes

The short answer to this question is yes, you can change your will at any time. Colorado law presumes that a will can either be revoked or changed. Actually making the change, however, can be done in one of two ways.

Creation of a New Will

Perhaps the easier of the two methods of changing one’s will is to revoke the will through burning, canceling, destroying, tearing, or obliterating all or part of the will. By completely destroying your will and all copies with the intention of revoking the will, your previous wishes are canceled. Then you can make your new will.

The other way to create a new will is to make one with terms that contradict the previously made will. While a bit more complicated than simply burning your old will, this method does allow you to revoke the old one while making the changes you need to.

Simpler Changes

Sometimes the changes that need to be made are very minor. If this is the case, you can simply add amendments to your current will in order for those changes to take effect. These amendments, called codicils, take effect once finalized, signed, notarized, and signed by two witnesses.

Work With an Estate Planning Attorney

Because of the complexities surrounding estate planning and preparing or modifying a will, it’s important to consult an attorney who understands the legalities surrounding these types of documents and who can help you craft a will that suits your needs and those of your family. At Law Office of Alexandra White, PC, we understand the concerns you may have regarding your will, which is why we’re here to help you protect your rights and prepare your family for a good future.

To schedule a free consultation, call us at (303) 647-4245 or visit us online.