Conservatorship and Guardianship A Fresh, Modern Approach to Law

Conservatorship and Guardianship in Centennial

Helping You Care for Your Loved One’s Needs

When an adult becomes incapacitated due to injury or illness and that person can longer make decisions for themselves, the Colorado probate court may appoint a guardian or conservator to make decisions on that person’s behalf. Guardianship and conservatorship can also be used for minors, or adults with special needs. At the Law Office of Alexandra White, PC in Centennial, our family law team can provide the assistance you need if you are seeking conservatorship or guardianship of a loved one. We mainly handle uncontested guardianships and conservatorships.

Reach out to our law office today at (303) 647-4245 to set up a free case evaluation with one of our experienced attorneys to learn more about what we can do for you.

What is the Difference Between Guardianship and Conservatorship?

When appointing a conservator or guardian for an incapacitated individual or minor, the court generally has a preference for appointing a close family member for such a role. That said, there are some differences between these two roles.

Here are some of the responsibilities of a guardian:

  • A guardian is responsible for the individual’s personal care and well-being.
  • A guardian will make decisions pertaining to the individual’s living arrangements and medical treatment.
  • A guardian will determine the type of supervision and assistance the individual will receive.
  • A guardian can handle small amounts of money on the individual’s behalf, though the court may appoint a conservator if necessary.

Here are some of the responsibilities of a conservator:

  • A conservator is responsible for the individual’s financial affairs and property.
  • A conservator may pay for the person’s bills or even care for the person’s home.
  • A conservator must manage and invest assets appropriately for the individual’s benefit.
  • A conservator may participate in the operation of a business in which the individual has an ownership interest.

Generally, a conservator is only appointed if the person in question has a certain amount of assets (as determined by state law). Additionally, if a conservator is appointed, it does not automatically void the incapacitated person’s financial power of attorney. Usually the guardianship and conservatorship roles are filled by the same person, but they don’t have to be.

Reach Out to Our Experienced Family Law Team for a Consultation Today!

If your loved one is incapacitated, even if it is only temporary, or your child with special needs is turning 18 soon, they may be in need of a conservator or guardian. At the Law Office of Alexandra White, PC in Centennial, our team can assist you with this process and ensure your loved one is being properly cared for. You can rely on us for strong legal support and guidance.

Call our law office today at (303) 647-4245 to set up a free consultation with a member of our team to discuss your case.

Clients Share Their Stories

We're Here to Help You Every Step of the Way
  • Brooke C.

    Hands down, was the best experience

  • Cynthia D.

    One of the best

  • Darin R.

    I felt empowered and encouraged

  • Maria S.

    Absolutely wonderful

  • Anonymous

    Understanding and compassionate

Contact Us

Let's Get Started Together
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please enter the best way to contact you.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.