Divorce A Fresh, Modern Approach to Law

File for Divorce in Colorado

Make the Right Decisions for the Long-Term

Centennial couple getting divorcedDivorce is a legally complex and highly personal process that can last months or years. Continuing disputes over assets and money only serve to prolong a resolution and, ironically, deplete financial resources. Regardless of the length of the proceedings or tone of the divorce, the best interests of the children should remain a priority.

At the Law Office of Alexandra White, PC, we can help you understand your options and guide you through the divorce process.

Our attorneys in Colorado provide guidance through all aspects of divorce, including:

Whether a marital dissolution is resolved through mediation or trial, the financial toll on parents may be calculable, but the emotional trauma on children placed in the middle of heated decisions cannot.

Obtaining a Divorce in Colorado

In a divorce, each spouse takes on a unique role. The party that files for divorce is the "petitioner," while the other party is the "respondent."

To file for divorce in Colorado, you and/or your spouse must meet the following requirements:

  • At least one party must have been a resident of Colorado for 91 days or more before filing for divorce;
  • Whichever party receives a summon must be under the jurisdiction of Colorado;
  • If you share children, they must have made Colorado their primary residence for at least 181 days;
  • The court must wait at least 91 days after the respondent receives their summons to finalize the divorce.

The petitioner must file various forms with the court to initiate the divorce process. These forms include:

  • A petition detailing the circumstances of your divorce, why you wish to dissolve your marriage, your proposed terms for divorce-related processes such as property division, alimony, child custody, and child support, and information about your finances and circumstances such as tax returns, mortgage and income statements, pension plan information, benefits statements, etc.
  • A summons for the respondent notifying them of the divorce;
  • Various other forms depending on the circumstances of your case and whether you share children, wish to pay for or receive alimony or child support, etc.

After filing these forms, a third party such as a sheriff or process server must serve the respondent with a notice informing them of the divorce. The respondent then has the opportunity to respond to the petitioner by filing a response.

How the divorce proceeds from this point often depends on whether the divorce is contested or uncontested.

Uncontested Vs. Contested Divorce

When two parties agree on all terms for their divorce and divorce-related processes such as child custody and support, property division, and alimony, they can file for an uncontested divorce.

Alternatively, if the parties have any disagreements over these subjects, they must file for a contested divorce.

In an uncontested divorce, the parties can draft and sign an agreement stating their agreed-on terms for the divorce.

If the respondent agrees with the petitioner's terms for divorce and the parties have a divorce agreement, they may elect not to respond or to waive their right to respond, allowing the court to move forward and finalize the divorce.

Alternatively, if the respondent disagrees with the petitioner's terms, they can file a response stating their own preferred terms. At this stage, the court may order the parties to engage in alternative dispute resolution (ADR) to resolve their differences or move forward with litigating the divorce in court.

Divorces that begin as contested can transition into an uncontested dispute if the parties use a form of ADR such as mediation or collaborative law to resolve their differences.

If the parties move forward with a contested divorce, the court may hold hearings to implement temporary orders dictating how the spouses handle issues such as custody or property division during the divorce. Finally, the court will hold a trial. After hearing evidence from both parties, the court will draft what the judge considers to be an equitable divorce decree, setting for terms for the divorce and finalizing it.

While uncontested divorces can take as little as 91 days to resolve, contested divorces can take years to finalize. Our Centennial divorce attorneys can help you identify the best path forward in your divorce, working with you to secure your future.

Protecting Your Personal & Financial Interests

Divorce attorney Alexandra White knows that our clients often come to us after experiencing the slow deterioration of their marriage over months and years. Some are ready for battle; others just want the process to be over.

The founder of the Law Office of Alexandra White, PC, strips away the personal issues and gets to work on strategies and cost versus benefit analyses. She recognizes the emotional toll of divorce on her clients and their children may not be calculable, but is still a significant factor.

Divorce does not have to be a battle that damages relationships between parents and their children and depletes money. That does not mean that you should give in on all the issues to keep the peace. Your rights, best interests, and assets require aggressive protection as well.

For a telephone consultation with an experienced divorce lawyer, contact the Law Office of Alexandra White, PC, through our online form or call (303) 647-4245.

Clients Share Their Stories

We're Here to Help You Every Step of the Way
  • Cassandra

    Professionalism, Quality, Responsiveness, Value

  • Ron Daggett

    Honesty, Integrity and Professionalism

  • Scott Brehm

    I worked with Krista Beauchamp at this law office and had a terrific experience. She communicated very well, took an interest in my needs and outlined her approach, then followed through quickly and effectively, keeping me informed throughout the process.

  • Henry Caspersen

    Thank you to Alex and her whole team. Very much appreciate the professionalism and expertise of everyone I've had contact with at the firm. I recommend Alex White to anyone who needs a divorce attorney in Centennial. Also very much appreciate working with

  • Dan Bryant

    Best divorce and family lawyers in the Centennial area.

  • Scott Howell

    Divorce is an emotional and difficult time in anyone’s life to have to go through and it shouldn’t be done alone. The moment I walked into the office Colleen made me feel welcome and made me feel like I was part of their family. Alex and her st

  • Courtney Weis

    Alexandra White was incredible in handling my child support custody order. I was so pleased from her work and the outcome that I came back to use her once again to resolve child support modification. If you want someone you can trust she’s the one yo

  • Paul Winters

    Alex White is the crème de la creme of Divorce Attorneys. Alex is well known for being one of the top Divorce Attorneys in Denver. She is beyond talented in every respect of Divorce Law. Ms. White is tough, but fair, on your side, of course. There w

  • Sam Garg

    Hiring Alex was the best decision I made. Alex took over a complex and poorly managed case that had been lingering for 18 months and delivered a very favorable outcome and settlement within 4 weeks. Her ability to orchestrate and effect a resolution are th

  • Diane Thomas Homes

    I retained Alex White to represent me from May 2011 until final in Sept 2013. It was a very complicated divorce due to my ex being an attorney and therefore it was a battle that I might add she conquered! Alex was professional at all times and executed eac

  • Andy H.

    Divorce is painful, complicated and lasting. Ensure you have a great team to support you every step of the way. Attorneys Alex White provided me great guidance and legal advice that I wholeheartedly recommend.

  • Richard K.

    The Law office of Alexandra White are a pleasure to work with. Knowledgeable staff, fast communication, I would definitely recommend and use them again. Thank you for everything.

  • Marshall A.

    Alex White is an excellent family law attorney in Centennial. I've referred clients her way and everyone says that she is very professional and what they like the most is that she wins cases in court because of her "aggressive" approach to the co

  • Mark W.

    Alexandra White is my preferred choice for Denver divorce lawyers because she runs an incredible law office and she really cares about your marriage and ultimately wants to help you and your spouse achieve the desired results where everyone wins.

  • Steve B.

    Alex has been a tremendous help in diffusing high conflict post-decree problems. I can't recommend Alex enough!

  • Sarah Schlosser

    I can’t sing the praises of Alex White enough

  • Tony A.

    I retained the Law Office of Alexandra White, PC to represent me in my divorce process in June 2015. I worked with both Alex White. He made a difficult situation easier to handle. He responded promptly and thoroughly to all of my questions and concerns, we

  • Dave

    Alex took me through what proved to be a more than difficult post divorce custody litigation. She was knowledgeable, supportive and more importantly tenacious. She kept expectations reasonable, information was plentiful as were the potential options availa

  • Sarah

    Alexandra was very professional, and had the ability to make you feel comfortable even in very uncomfortable situations. She was very knowledgable about the law and the everchanging statutes, and if she did not have an answer she would find it. I would rec

  • Managing Partner

    Extraordinary lawyer. Great abilities to analyze and problem solve. My highest recommendations.

  • Partner

    I have worked with Ms. White on several legal matters. She is a very bright and tenacious young lawyer who embodies the best attributes of our profession.

Contact Us

Let's Get Started Together
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please enter the best way to contact you.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.