Grandparent Visitation Can Be an Issue After a Divorce

A divorce can have family ramifications beyond the couple ending their marriage and their children. Sometimes, one or both ex-spouses chose to prevent the children's grandparents from seeing them.

In some cases, this may be due to legitimate concerns for the children's physical or emotional well-being. However, one parent may be concerned that his or her former in-laws are influencing the children against them. In some instances, sadly, the relationship between the couple is so toxic that they don't want their children around their ex-spouse's family.

In Colorado, the courts generally will not get involved in visitation disputes regarding grandparents. However, there are some important exceptions. They may rule on grandparent visitation rights, for example, if:

-- The child's welfare or safety is endangered.-- The parents were never legally married.-- A child has been placed in the custody of someone other than one of the parents (with the exception of a legal adoption).-- The grandparents' son or daughter who was the child's parent has died.

At The Law Office of Alexandra White PC, we know that grandparents can play a crucial role in a child's upbringing. In many cases, parents depend on one or more grandparents to help raise and care for their children if both of them work outside the home.

During and after a divorce, when a child's life is in upheaval, being able to spend time with beloved grandparents can be a tremendous source of comfort. In that case, it's best if the parents and grandparents can put aside their animosity enough to allow these relationships to continue.

However, there are also cases where it is truly not in the best interest of a child to have contact with one or more grandparents. Parents may feel like they have no alternative but to take steps to prevent grandparent visitation in those cases.

Whatever the particular dilemma is that you're facing regarding grandparent visitation rights, we can offer experienced advice and guidance. Call us or contact us online to schedule a free consultation and find out if we can help you.