Sad Child

My Ex Won't Pay Child Support. What Can I Do?

It is not uncommon for family law attorneys to encounter cases where the non-custodial parent fails to pay child support, leaving the custodial parent burdened with the financial responsibilities of raising a child. In these situations, it is crucial for parents to understand their rights and the legal avenues available to ensure that their child receives the support they are entitled to.

Step 1: Review the Child Support Order

Before taking any action, parents should first review their child support order to ensure they have a clear understanding of the terms and conditions. They should be familiar with the payment amount, frequency, and method of payment. In some cases, miscommunication or misunderstandings may arise, leading to payment issues. By revisiting the order, parents can verify the specifics and address any discrepancies.

Step 2: Communicate with the Non-Paying Parent

If the child support order is clear and the non-custodial parent is still not making payments, the custodial parent should attempt to communicate with them about the missed payments. It is possible that the non-custodial parent may be experiencing temporary financial difficulties or is unaware of their obligations. By discussing the issue openly, parents may be able to reach an agreement or create a payment plan that accommodates both parties' financial situations.

Step 3: Consult a Family Law Attorney

If communication with the non-paying parent proves unsuccessful or they continue to refuse payment, it is advisable for the custodial parent to consult with a family law attorney. An experienced attorney can help assess the situation, provide legal advice, and recommend appropriate steps to enforce the child support order.

Step 4: Enforce the Child Support Order

Family law attorneys have various enforcement tools at their disposal to ensure compliance with child support orders.

Some examples of consequences for failure to pay include:

  • Wage Garnishment: An attorney can request that the non-paying parent's employer withhold a portion of their wages to cover the child support payments.
  • Contempt of Court: If the non-paying parent is found to be in contempt of court for failing to pay child support, they may face fines or even jail time.
  • Property Liens: A lien can be placed on the non-paying parent's property, such as real estate or vehicles, to secure payment of child support arrears.
  • Tax Refund Interception: The government can intercept the non-paying parent's tax refunds to cover unpaid child support.
  • License Suspension: The non-paying parent's driver's license or professional licenses may be suspended until they comply with the child support order.

When an ex refuses to pay child support, it is essential for the custodial parent to take action to protect their child's financial well-being. By reviewing the child support order, communicating with the non-paying parent, consulting with a family law attorney, and enforcing the order, parents can help ensure that their child receives the support they deserve.